12 February 2010

Dreaming of You : Selena Forever


The magazine I work for *ahem* is doing a big retrospective on Selena for the April issue. I hadn't thought much about her for years but I kinda got inspired by her 90s awesomeness.

I wore a bodycon dress to Carlen's Birthday and my friend Ellen exclaimed "Is that Leti, or is that Selena?" Best day ever obvs.


Years ago I thought about her a lot because I had studied Latin American Studies and Women's Studies and was a fan of Lourdes Portillo's film Corpus: A Home Movie About Selena, my favorite part was the roundtable of famous Chicana Feminists bitching each other out about her legacy and whether she was a hack (Sandra Cisneros I'm looking at you). In 2001 I worked with first grade girls who loves Selena even though they had been born after her death, and the school library carried several books about her life for young readers.
Erin Fant is that you?

yes Chanel, why not


little Stevie Nicks influence never hurt nobody
Sadface tribute statue in Corpus Christi.

Okay tell me you don't want to lock yourself in your room and listen to this and think about your crush:
**

And then dance in your underwear to this

No comments: